Thursday, April 14, 2011

Going Coconuts!

I've been up since 4:30am this morning attending to a sick four year old, as well as a sick hubby.  So after consuming nearly a 12 cup pot of coffee, I decided I needed fuel for myself.  After perusing the Love Veggies and Yoga blog, I became inspired to create her simple coconut flavored rice with veggies.  Don't ask me why I chose a rice dish for breakfast, but it definately took care of my mexican food craving....for now anyway.  I am now pleasantly stuffed, and ready to deal with my ailing family.  Many thanks to Love Veggies and Yoga!

Coconut-Infused Rice with Veggies







1 Cup Lundberg's White Basmati Rice
1 1/2 Cups So Delicious Coconut Milk
2 tsp. Dried Cilantro, divided
2 tsp. Garlic Powder, divided
2 tsp. Cumin, divided
1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper, divided
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 - 15oz. can Garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
Approx. 1 1/2 Cups Veggie mix (any veggies you would like)
        -- I used a mix of Zucchini, Mushrooms, Red Onion
1/4 Cup Pineapple, diced

Cook rice according to package directions.  Instead of using water or broth, use the coconut milk, and also add in half of the seasonings.  While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil on medium heat.  Add the veggies and beans, season with the rest of the seasonings, and saute for 5-10 minutes, or until veggies are tender.  Reduce the heat to simmer and add the pineapple.  Simmer for 1-2 minutes.  When the rice is ready, add the veggie mixture into the rice and mix well.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment